Sunday 18 March 2012

It Is Not Just About the Number of Camels

I wish bargaining was always as fun as in Morocco or Egypt when you are doing some shopping in the souks. I have still this memory of my trip in Egypt when I was little; my father tried to bargain in a souk, but at the end, the vendor was too good. Tourists seem to not have enough practice; maybe because haggling is specific to some countries, such as in Latin America, Africa and Asia. There, bargaining in street markets is expected and if you don't, you'll actually offend the vendor. It's considered as an art. However, there is a whole ritual to follow. In fact, all over the Internet you can find tips to improve your haggling strategy, but when you are not used to it, it can be quite challenging.






  
Bargaining in street markets in North America or in Europe is considered as inappropriate, but that actually doesn't mean that occidental people do not bargain on a regular basis. Buying a new car or negotiating a job offer are examples of bargaining situations. As I’ll graduate this summer, I will soon jump in this scary world full of sharks, where bargaining may play a valuable role if I want to survive and get my dream job. So, what are you best tips for bargaining?

3 comments:

  1. An interesting post! I actually dislike haggling in street markets, but am a good negotiator when it comes to job perks and benefits. What's the difference? In the first, the stall holder has all the cards- he knows what the product cost, what he is willing to take in terms of margin, etc. In a new job negotiation, I hold the upper hand. Once the organisation has decided it wants me, then it is easier to set conditions. As a result, I have managed to get a company car (when I was a learner driver!)and a car parking space in London (normally reserved for senior management). I even once talked the organisation into paying me two months of sabbatical leave- just to ensure I came back to the job! It must be a question of having the right information, and being willing to negotiate from a position of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It looks like you are pretty good at negotiation! I agree with you with the fact that negotiating from a position of strengths may be easier to achieve your objectcive. Therefore, doing a bit of research in order to start with the right information seems to be a crucial starting point if someone wants to "win" the negotiation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, sorry for my English. Although, European and Marocan situation are so different, bargaining is used in all of these countries but in different ways. The problem is that in European countries, people bargain, but at the end, they don't have the same respect regarding the final agreement than in Marocco for example. So my advice could be; if you have to bargain, you have to respect your partner. Bargaining is not a way to rip off the other.

    ReplyDelete